Wednesday, December 29, 2010

STYLING THE BAND...DLJ SHOOT!

Hey Peeps! Now due to technical difficulties I wasn't able to write this post when it happened so we're going to back track a month , to a very exciting day! My clients , electro-pop duo Dead Love Junkies discussed doing a shoot with me a while back which they would use for promotional purposes, for the cover art of their album & also to use on their website. I spent some time gathering inspiration & decided what kind of direction I wanted to go in. In the music industry in this day & age there are so many 'up & coming' bands, singers etc that it can be quite difficult to stand out, no matter how talented you may be. However, when a performer has a distinct look & presence , they tend to get people's attention. Take for example the amazing GaGa , would people continue to be so gaga over gaga if there were no dramatic costumes & theatrics - the girl is talented that goes without saying - but image does make a difference. The boys behind DLJ are extremely talented however I wanted to make them look like the rockstar's they are in their own right. My Inspiration came from various things. People like The Killers , David Bowie, Kanye West - these performers have a look that says 'I'm a Star' combine that element with glamour, futuristic influences & a nod to the Circus & I try & create a unique look for the guys. A look that hopefully makes people go 'These guys are cool, I want to listen to their music!'
After showing the guys my moodboard of images, followed by pulling some amazing vintage threads from Beyond Retro - I wanted to use a majority of vintage as it was important to me that the clothing not be about what labels the boys were wearing but more the over all look - I then asked my gorgeous friend & very talented photographer Lora Popescu to do the photography. The shoot took place , accidentally , on location at the Book Club in East London which is this amazing restaurant that has a basement level which provided perfect back drops for our shots! Though I was nervous it ended up being one of those days where everything runs better than you could have ever hoped. The photography, the clothing, the location & the energy in the room was electric. The feeling it gave me to see the guys look & feel amazing was priceless and more than anything cemented in my mind that this is where my heart is! Enough from me , this post is more visual , check out the images from the shoot below, and keep your eyes and ears peeled for these boys - they're gonna be big! xoxo Deni
check out www.deadlovejunkies.com to hear the boys do what they do best!

No comments:

Post a Comment