Monday, March 22, 2010

LAST DAYS OF PRAGUE!

Hiya guys! So i'm here to fill you in on the last few days of our Prague adventure. One of Prague's biggest tourist attractions is the Karluv Most known as 'Charle's Bridge', Its construction started in 1357 making it over 600 years older than Australia by almost 6 times. Its decorated by 30 statues that go all the way along , they depict various saints and patron saints of those times. We began our 3rd day with a walk over the bridge amongst the tourists... we then headed up towards Prague's Castle to do some further discovery of the beautiful area and its stunning surroundings. It was quite chilly this morning and something prompted me to get Ben and I some nice hot mulled wine to go with the lovely walk. I stopped at a street vendor and paid my italian-speaking-czech-street-vendor for my 2 mulled wines - Its funny because nearly every store I walked into to , they began speaking to me in italian , now surely I dont look that italian hehe anyways my hopes of amazing hot mulled wine were slightly shattered as I began to sip my very much 'warm' mulled wine , never the less I was just in awe of the views!It totally was just one of those moments where I stopped and said 'Wow I really am lucky to be travelling the world - or Europe at the least' , we continued the walk down and through to the Castle's cathedral - which let me tell you at this point it was beginning to feel like 'if I see one more freakin' church I will scream' but then you see it and suddenly I was speechless , the beauty of the structure stopped me in my tracks and it was almost like a world inside a world , you step through the castle gates and almost into a totally new village , it was truly magnificent!The day had gone by and Ben and I had walked around most of the city - to be fair Prague is certainly not as big as I thought it would be and I think in two days you can probably see all of the best Prague has to offer , so on Thursday night we decided to chill and take a step back into normalcy - which was nice as when you're travelling sometimes you get this need to just constantly run around doing things and its nice when you can just chill and not feel like there's 100 more things you need to see - so we decided to take a step into a Prague cinema and see Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland - as it was released in Prague prior to London. Snacks & Tickets in hand we entered to the theatre. The movie was amazing , the costumes and the imagery was really inspiring - it was also quite funny to watch the movie with czech subtitles.
As we awoke on our last day we were officially given the final Prague treatment 'SNOW'! Yes as we walked up the river banks , pre-snow , I could feel my face freezing , literally, I decided to pull my beanie on my face - as you can see in the picture below - it made us both laugh out loud!
We then walked up , or rather hiked , it felt like a hike , up the hill to go see Petrin Tower - from a distance it looks like the very top of the Eiffel tower so we had to go and check it out. As we got up the view kept getting better and better. Petrin tower is a 60metre high lookout tower built in 1891. It reallyBy the time we got up for one last look at Prague Castle it was officially snowing - pouring down! I couldnt help but do a slightly penguin-like-shuffle-dance in the snow, it was a perfect moment and the mix of snow and beautiful surroundings made it one i wont forget!We spent the rest of the afternoon exploring more parts of the city mostly behind the castle and managed to get up on a hill where a beautiful view of icy cold Prague stood beneath us.
There was one thing left to do before we departed Prague, I had booked a 'Prague Underground' tour for Ben and I to do. It was quite interesting because underneath the city there was almost another city. Our fast speaking tour guide spoke us through the medi evil times of Prague and it was nice to learn some history of what the city was like 500 years ago. It was funny because he would walk us through the underground chambers and point out doors , walls and water wells that were older than the very country we were born in. So that was quite fascinating. We ended by posing infront of the 'Astronomical Clock' one of Prague's most visited tourist attractions.
...and with that we bid farewell to Prague and hopped on our flight back to London town. I really enjoyed Prague it was a beautiful city with much to offer. I think in hindsight its definitley a 2 day trip as its alot smaller than I thought it would be and you can probably cover most things over the course of 2 days , but it was nice to just get away and be a traveller for 4 days! xo Deni

No comments:

Post a Comment