Saturday, August 28, 2010

STYLING THE BAND!

The rain was pouring on Wednesday night and as I got slightly soaked in YSL I strode over to Soho St to the club Punk where the band I style 'DeadLoveJunkies' was performing for a crowd of music enthusiasts and industry insiders. It was almost a month ago that I sat down with DLJ's front man Raff to discuss working as they're stylist and this was the first time I was officially styling them. I buzzed at the door 'I'm here with Dead Love Junkies, I'm they're stylist' and within 2 minutes security let me in through the club to the make shift band area in what appeared to be an old kitchen. I gave the boys (Raff - lead singer/song writer and Will - Producer/Instrumentalist) a big hug and unzipped by garment bag of goodies to lay out options. Jewellery was all fastened in zip log bags and I laid out top options for Raff. Will was very easy to style , with his buff columbian physique he often performs gigs in nothing more than a vest top and most often ends up topless by the end of the performance. I wanted to bring sexy back with a tailored touch and decided to put him in a black waistcoat and skinny jeans with a big statment chain which I customised myself. Done and ready for stage it was on to Raff. With his signature statement quiff and kohled eyes I wanted to give him a frontman vibe but nothing too over the top for this urban venue. I decided on a washed black v neck tee , skinny's , boots and some great chain and metal accessories and a quirky star necklace I've had for a while! I was really pleased with the total look of the boys and they both complimented each other. I left the boys backstage to chill pre-show and was Joined by my gorgeous fellow-romanian Lora Popescu as official photographer (check out her blog http://www.untainted333.blogspot.com/) we dashed across to Las Iguanas for a brazilian feast complimented with cocktails and gossip before the band were due to begin. Lora and I have really bonded , meeting through mutual friends we've become like two peas in a pod and she's the latest addition the my very close-knit substitute London Family. Tummy's full we made our way back to PUNK and waited in anticipation for DLJ to start! It has to be said that Lora has such amazing style & am constantly in awe of her outfits - how is it I constantly attract drop dead gorgeous friends - ah I'm a lucky boy!!!Before we knew it the time had come for our boys to hit the stage and with their amazing sound fusing electro.pop.dance.soul they literally had the house on fire. Each song was better than the one before and I couldnt stop dancing the whole way through. Everyone need's to check out there site http://www.deadlovejunkies.com/ immediatley and listen to their music - its the kind of music I could hear on the radio at a club the kind of music I want to listen to while getting ready with the girls. Its fun music and Raff's voice is incredible , I couldnt help but feel so proud of them!


Their set was over and I immediatley went over to congratulate them. When I gave Will a hug he said 'Man thankyou so much for the styling you did an awesome job cant wait to keep working with you' and after the performance friends of their's had come up to me complimenting my work with the boys and how they loved what I put them in. With the band and their friends seal of approval and seeing them rock it completely rocking their look, reminded me why I love doing this so much. Its such a rewarding feeling and as Lora and I staggered our way up the stairs and back into the London rain I had a big smile on my face and all the extra hours of work and effort that I put into all these styling projects suddenly just fell so worth it. Creativity is a beautiful thing , I'm really looking forward to working with the guys again , these boys are going places and STYLIST Deni is loving every second of these fashion adventures! xoxo Deni

No comments:

Post a Comment