Wednesday, June 9, 2010

ON A NIGHT LIKE THIS...The Kylie Event!

Two weeks ago when I accepted my position at Tamara Kretzer PR I was briefed on an upcoming VIP event hosted by Kylie Minogue the face of our Spanish Jewellery client TOUS. What I wasnt allowed to publicly say at the time , was when Tamara called me to offer the job she also added "...and Denis you're dream will come true and you'll get to meet Kylie". I couldn't believe my ears. For those of you who know me, you will know that Kylie is one of my biggest Idols-Heroes-Style Icons EVER! I've seen her Live twice but have dreamed of coming face to face with her many a time - as sad as that may sound - and knowing that I was going to meet her (and only being allowed to tell my mum) was anticipation & excitement beyond compare. With 2 weeks to plan probably the biggest event our Agency has held to date was not an easy task however with a team of 5 we managed to pull it off amazingly! As last minute celebrity guests were added to our list hours before the event was due to begin Kylie fever was in the air and buzzing through our office like a thick smog! On the same night as the GLAMOUR STYLE AWARDS this was going to be quite a big night proffesionally and personally for me for a few reasons. As PR Boy working the Kylie event was going to be one of the most important nights of my new-career in PR and a chance to prove myself to my new team. As Stylist Deni , my client Seema was invited to both the Kylie Event & Glamour Awards so this was my chance to showcase my skills as a stylist to the 'who's who' of the London Fashion/Celebrity World. Nervous much? Yep. Rewind 10 days 5 days pre-event and you'll find me in Seema's bedroom going through options for the evenings outfit. When she walked out in a gold and black sequinned Lipsy, a dress from their VIP range , I knew this was the HERO dress! I decided to style it with black peep toe Kurt Geiger heels and a leather and gold studded House of Kaviar Guache to funk the look up and mix the sexy glamour of the sequins with the funky edge of the studs. Fast Forward back to yesterday and my morning began in Fortnum & Masons. Fortnum and Mason is recognised internationally for its high quality food and as an Iconic British Landmark. Its basically one of the swankiest food stores in the world and a hold a Royal Warrant. This is where the Queen does her shopping (though not personally I'm sure). I was sent to Fortnum's to buy quintessentially English food for Madame Tous & her daughter (flying in especially from Spain for the night's event). I've never been in before and have always thought it was a high end department store. Needless to say when I walked in it took my breath away. The glass doors opened to reveal royal red carpet , Chandeliers hanging from the ceilings and the cutest silver shopping baskets that looked more expensive than any shopping basket i've ever seen. I've never seen food so amazing merchandised and displayed. A tower of fine chocolate truffles looked poetic behind glass counters and the staff were dressed in suits like the staff of a 5 Star Hotel. As classical music played in the background (at just the right volume) I observed the shoppers around me. These were the chicest shoppers of London i've seen. Carrying Vuittons, Birkins and the like , dressed in smart chino's and Burberry knitwear these were just every day women & men popping in to pick up their groceries for the day - every day VERY WEALTHY women & men however! I selected quintessentially english fine tea, biscuits and a jar of sweets coming to the total of 30pounds (yes $60 AUD) and had them gift wrapped (no charge) by the white glove , tuxedo wearing gentleman behind the counter. This was luxury at its best. This alone was an experience in itself, and I walked out with the longing to be one of this uber-chic shoppers one day , popping into Fortnum's - Birkin in hand , cashmere sweater tied around my neck - to treat myself to a selection of truffles, macaroons, fine chocolate and champagne. I highly recommend visiting and now feel like a trip to London wouldn't be complete without it. Back to reality and back to the office when before I knew it I was in a cab & on my way to the event! A quick costume change into my party outfit I opted for Elegant Glamour in black skinny's a white tuxedo shirt and bow tie (left hanging loose James Bond esque) with my grey blazer thrown on top. I selected an oversized silver TOUS cuff to wear for the evening (coming in at a cool 500 pounds) and took my place list in hand, as the face of the agency, on the door!
I've been at the door for many a fashion show and the last event we did for Grazia so I wasnt too nervous , though this was the biggest event i've had to do (with a 300 strong guest list) being at the door meant I would be the first to see everyone that comes in , most importantly Kylie! It was 6.30 on a balmy summer's night as guests started to arrive. Madame Tous & her Daughter Rosa arrived with their posse from Spain HQ (later in the night Rosa Tous told me she loved the cookies I selected and that her and Madame Tous had ate them while getting ready). My face lit up when my star client Seema Pathan walked my way - she looked beyond stunning! The dress, shoes & accessories looked INSANITY and as the paparazzi snapped her picture I felt so proud!
Soon Matt Horne , the hilarious comedian and star of the Catherine Tate show & Gavin and Stacey made his way towards me and I ushered him inside as he was the guest DJ for the night.
Shortly after Billionaire-Heiresses the Ecclestone sisters stepped out of their private Hummer and made there way towards me. Dressed in a Herve Leger dress and Christian Louboutin heels Brunette Petra's wrists were stacked in Cartier LOVE bracelets (starting at around 5,000pounds each) while her Blonde sister Tamara sparkled in a sequinned short play suit carrying a Chanel 2.55 and also wearing Louboutins! These girls are London's Hilton Sisters & were loving every second of the spotlight as they posed for paparazzi like the socialites they are
I greeted the super tanned , dressed in black, man with a "Hiya Sir , what was your name" as I prepared to tick him off the list he replied with a "You shouldn't have to ask for my name young man you should recognise me , I'm Julien McDonald" and with that we both laughed and I felt slightly embarrased as I completely didnt recognise the designer I was really looking forward to meet. Granted he had just completley changed his hairstyle and wasnt recognised by a few people. "Julien i'm so sorry its your new haircut I didnt even recognise you" , I giggled whilst batting my eye lashes and swiftly got out of it as I ushered him inside. Quite a funny moment!The TOUS flagship store on Regent St was buzzing as guests drank their cocktails as Matt Horne queued 80s favorites from the decks. The combination of Socialites, Designers, Actors and Actresses, TV & Radio Presenters and Models set the scene for what was shaping up to be a very cool party! Everyone however was eagerly anticipating Kylie's arrival - myself included.
As Kylie's manager stepped outside we were told the Divine Miss M was around the corner and 5 minutes later a black car pulled up and my heart began to beat so fast I thought it was going to jump out of my blazer and onto the floor! As security opened the door I spot a shoe , the colour of coral and then finally the gorgeous-incredibly petite-frame of Kylie Minogue. She is glowing. Literally it seems as though rays of light are beaming from her smile. Her hair is toussled and up in that effortless way she often wears it. Her full length bohemian styled Bodyamr coral dress drapes down her body and her gold Yves Saint Laurent heels peak through the split. Gold three-tiered TOUS earrings from the Petal collection adorn her ears and look perfect against her honey-blonde locks. As she walks towards me I cant wipe the smile off my face and she poses for Paparazzi like the proffessional she is and then finally is right in front of me. I extend my hand and with a smile am the first to greet her. "Hiya Kylie, Welcome to TOUS, I'm Deni you look amazing" , as the words come out of my mouth I cant believe this is happening. "Aww , you're a sweety" Kylie Minogue replies. Yes Kylie Minogue , The Kylie , Australia's Showgirl called me Little Deni from Geelong - a sweety - somebody pinch me! This can not be happening. Perfectly queued by Matt Horne, Kylie's new single 'All The Lovers' from her forthcoming album 'Aphrodite' blares from the speakers (contrary to mixed reviews I love this song , its such a feel good track) and as the lyrics play and Kylie walks in it is a moment I WILL NEVER FORGET! and before I can start to get emotional I compose myself and take in every second! She poses with Madame Tous & her daughter Rosa & has the whole room in awe of her beauty & presence.
As she heads upstairs to her VIP lounge , for Kylie's Team , Special Guests and the TOUS Family another familiar face walks my way. "Its Molly Meldrum" I say, "G'day Molly I'm Denis" - "Gday Mate, you must be an aussie" , "Sure am mate" I reply. "Where from?" Molly asks, "Melbourne, well actually Geelong" , "Geelong , aaah mate are you a Geelong supporter?" , "Of Course I am" I reply and with that he faux-chokes my neck laughing "Naughty Boy you're the opposition" and we both laugh. "Has Kyles arrived" , "Yeah she's upstairs mate go on In" , "Cheers Denis"! A very funny and unexpected suprise appearance from Molly! Reminded me of home hehe after about an hour of interviews and mingling with the guests it was time for KM to depart and as she made her way down through the crowd I noticed my best friends Charlotte & Paul (Charlotte works for a fashion brand who was invited to the event but since the designers couldnt make it she got to take their invite, Paul being a model was her suave +1) stop and ask Kylie for a photo. I am so jealous and so proud all at the same time - as PR Deni I have to remain completley proffessional but since I wasnt allowed to ask for a photo I'm glad they got one! and as the paparazzi get their snaps of Kylie walking out she turns and smiles at me and as her flowing coral gown is swept in to the car the door closes and the car makes its way down Regent St. As Kylie fever winds down I am given the all clear to leave the door and take some time to quickly have a few drinks with the guests. I quickly-and-reluctantly return the amazing silver cuff "I dont want to take it off ever its amazing" I tell the TOUS girls , but its best I do before I get any cocktails into me & lose it! I head over to our team and we all raise our glasses of much deserved drink to congratulate each other on what was an extremley succesfull event we are a small team but work so well together! Finally I take this time to say hello to Charlotte & Paulcheck out their pics of Kylie. "She said I was cute" - says Paul! Bless! Seema is beyond happy and informs me that all night everyone has been complementing her dress "All thanks to you Deni" and again I am reminded why I love doing what I do so much! Drink in hand I briefly spoke to Percy Parker designer of hot london fashion label PPQ , I told him how much I love the label and how I was dying to go to his show last fashion week but was working a show for Goodley at the same time "Well i'll make sure you're invited to our show this Fashion week" and with that we exchange emails! Last fashion week every celebrity, socialite and stylist wanted to be at the PPQ show and now I had a guaranteed invite - Amazing! I get a quick drink with Seema before we have to leave to head to Glamour Awards Party (but more on that later...)
...as I prepare to leave the Kylie event I still cant believe this is all happening. It sounds silly to say but meeting Kylie is a lifelong dream come true and not only that, I successfully worked the biggest event our agency's ever done and my proffesionality (is that even a word) was praised by Tamara & the TOUS team and I feel overwhelmed with emotions , it was really an event to remember in so many ways! However the night didn't end there, keep reading for the full low down on all the Glitz, Glamour and Gossip at the GLAMOUR event - coming soon...
xoxo Deni!














No comments:

Post a Comment