Thursday, June 3, 2010

AND SO MY INTERN CHAPTER CLOSES...

Almost 4 months ago I began my first day as an intern at a fashion PR Firm and was thrown straight into the deep end which resulted in being one of the best experiences I've ever had and was a rollercoaster ride of emotions along the way. My life over the past 2 months (or more...) has been just that , a rollercoaster ride of emotions, and i havent updated my blog as often so I apologise to all you readers out there, but that's all about to change as I have much exciting news to report - however before I close this chapter let me fill you in on some of the highlights from my most recent intern experiences.

VOGUE the word itself conjures an emotional relation to fashion - it is fashion mecca. On one Thursday morning I walked into the offices of Goodley to be told we were going to Vogue today. We were going to conduct a sample sale of some old samples we had in our closet and within an hour I walked through the revolving doors and into the elevator on my way to Fashion Heaven. In the elevator stood a leggy blonde wearing a Marc Jacobs cropped jacket , Balmain jeans and sky high Miu Miu wedges! She emulated all that Vogue meant to me - High fashion! I could've cried. We set up the sale in one of the Vogue offices (covered wall to wall in issues of past). I took every chance I got to walk through the corridors , lined with rails of all the hottest new designer threads from every label you could imagine. As I walked out of the offices It was truly a dream come true - I visited THE HOUSE OF VOGUE & I have a feeling I'll be back and perhaps for a more important meeting next time!

A week later , Goodley was holding their Press days. A press day basically involves showing stylists, editors, journalists and bloggers all our new collections to give them an idea of the product we have to offer them for the season ahead. Normally interns duties during press days involve handing out water and canapes however the Goodley team trusted me to take appointments with clients , showing them the collections and talking through the designers we represent. Meaning I would have the opportunity to show my face and passion to some of the industry's leaders. I met some amazing people and after every appointment they asked me for my card, when I told them I was just 'the intern' they looked at me in shock. "You need to be working in Fashion PR young man" said the Style Editor for Stylist magazine. Little did I know what was just around the corner...(but more on that later).

Now back on VOGUE Encounters a week after our Press days, Alexandra Shulman the Editor in Chief of UK Vogue , who unfortunatley couldnt attend our press days - had a scheduled meeting to come in and see the collection of Meadham Kirchoff and meet the designers themselves to discuss the collection. These guys are London's answer to Viktor & Rolf and a very quirky fashion duo. The News that A.Schu was arriving at Goodley sent everyone into a frenzy and just before her arrival Kara asked me "...to please sit in reception for Alex's Arrival". She certainly didnt have to tell me that twice , before I knew it I was sat behind a lap top in reception feeling very 'amanda-off-ugly-betty' and 15minutes late for Miss.Vogue came knocking on the door. "Hiya Alexandra, Welcome to Goodley" , "I'm here for the Meadham & Kirchoff Boys" she replied quickly. "Follow Me" - as I walked her to the showroom I clocked her outfit. Black Silk carrot leg-harem style trousers , a striped oversized singlet top and a Navy Blue silk Blazer. Her hair (naturally wavy) was up in a dishevelled 'couldnt give a fuck' style and she was carrying a new season Celine handbag and wearing Miu Miu heels. There is a reason Anna Wintour & Carine Roitfeld (editors of US & France Vogue) are the style icons they are...Alexandra Shulman style icon is not. She was slightly aloof but she did like the collection and after a brief 20minutes she was out the door and back to her throne at the Fashion Kingdom that is Vogue! Never in my life did I think I would be coming this close to Vogue Editors and now that I have A.Schu and Carine Roitfeld ticked off my list , the only editor I have left to meet is Anna Wintour hehe

2 Weeks ago my 4 month intern anniversary looming , I emailed the directors at Goodley advising them of my interest in applying for any upcoming positions as a Junior Press Assistant. Fashion PR has become a true love of mine - being amongst the hustle and bustle and behind the scenes of getting fashion into the magazines and to the right stylists and on the right people has really become something I want to be a part of and feel am really good at. Unfortunatley there was no openings at Goodley however one of the directors best friends was moving to a new Fashion PR Agency and they were looking for a Junior Press Assistant. After a sterling recommendation from Goodley and my CV in the hands of Tamara Kretzer herself (the owner of the agency) I received a phone call that was about to change my life. Tamara wanted to interview me asap. So 2 mondays ago I fastened the buttons on my new Dior shirt (30 pounds from a charity store) pulled my tie down, threw my blazer on and walked into Tamara's offices.
I've always been a firm believer in 'The feeling you get in your stomach' - I always say you've gotta trust that feeling. The moment I met Tamara , a striking , tall german woman with long blonde wavy hair I knew this would be the start of something amazing! The next afternoon I recieved a phonecall that changed my life "Denis , even though you're not as experienced as perhaps some of the other applicants, you have a passion and ambition that reminds me of myself at your age and there is something about you that makes me want to give you that chance". When she offered me the job that is changing my life , I enthusiastically accepted and as I hung up the phone tears of joy streamed down my face. Last Wednesday I began my role officially as a Junior Press Assistant for Tamara Kretzer PR. My last intern day was bitter sweet. It called for a special outfit however and as I sported a somewhat preppy summer 'Chuck Bass' inspired outfit - I walked into Goodley that day remembering a somewhat vulnerable , newcomer to the PR and Fashion world and walked out that day embracing the more confident than ever young man, with a handful of amazing experiences under my belt. As another exciting chapter is about to begin in my life i just know exciting things are ahead and I am ready , crisp Dior shirt on I am ready to shine and take over the world of Fashion PR!
Updates on my first week are coming soon xoxo Deni

No comments:

Post a Comment