Monday, March 7, 2011

LFW - DAY 3 - AMAZING FASHION MOMENTS...

Day 3 of LFW was shaping up to be a day of back to back shows and after waking up to the nudging head ache of doing one too many shots and recollection of kissing one too many boys I decided a fabulous fashion moment was needed to snap myself out of it! I opted for a vintage cashmere jumper, which I decided to wear cropped to add an element of difference. I had long been in two minds about doing a cropped situation but was suddenly feeling it!With a cab on the way (I wont even begin to calculate how much i've accumulated in taxi fees though my bank balance will tell you its a sad sight) I made my way into Covent Garden for the first show of the morning - Jayne Pierson. I took my second row seat , ear glued to my phone as I chatted away to a family friend back home. I often frown at people talking into phones at fashion shows thinking they come across aloof and 'too cool for school' but as shows never run on time it really sometimes is the only way to kill a bit of time when you're on your own. The lights went low and the conversation ended and out came the first look - leather , boxy , 80s. These were the themes that echoed through Pierson's collection and for a designer I knew nothing about I was pleasantly suprised and genuinely enjoyed the show and her design aesthetic which for me meant a great way to start my morning and an immediate hangover cure! I passed by a few lovely bloggers who eagerly snapped at my stud print skinny jeans and made the short walk over to the BFC tent at Somerset house for the Jasper Conran show. The most commercial collection I saw all season , its always good however to see what the more mature clientele will be wearing as in this world of fashion and styling you just never know who may be your next client. In a collection that reminded me of Michael Kors , suede dresses walked passed sequinned oversized jumper dresses and feathered/fur overcoats sat beside gowns & trousers. As soon as the Conran show was over I was straight back into a cab and speeding off to a show I was really looking forward to. Last season, I by chance, went to the Charlie Le Mindu show. A designer who's expertise begun in hairdressing , he's combined his two passions (fashion and hair) and shocks the fashion scene with an individual vision unlike any others. Even with a seated invitation the wait was 40mins..."Would those of you with blue stickers on your invite please move forward" , I took a sigh of relief of my priority invite and walked on in feeling bad for the queue of people who had to battle the cold for some time more. Once in I took my seat in second row and the buzz in the room was absolutely electric. The crowd was the usual Charlie mix - from transvetites to international press and very influential editors. Everyone wanted to see what he would do next. As the lights went low, suddenly the sound of squealing pigs and bombs exploded over the speakers & then it happened - a naked model with a head piece reading VIOLENCE and dripping in "blood" walked eerily down the runway. It was a clear message & when I thought I couldn't be more shocked than last season - I was! Every look that
followed made me think harder, or shocked me more than the previous. Transparent Latex trench coats and gas mask adorned models made their way down the catwalk and after each look I couldnt help but feel the collection was inspired by Nazi germany and World War II. Male models with the words CUNT sprayed on their skulls - made a debut on the runway with Charlie's first entry to menswear. The finale however was truly amazing. What appeared to be a wedding dress combining lace and hair - juxtaposed with a head piece of taxidermy - a white dove in mid flight sat a top the models head and I didnt know whether to cry or scream with applause as I noticed the hem of the dress dripping in blood. Charlie came out to do his bow wearing a white butchers apron covered in "blood" and as he wiped his hands of a job well done the audience clapped and cheered some standing to their feet (myself included) when a collection like Charlie's leaves you breathless its a moment you remember! His show did everything you'd expect from him , it shocked me , suprised me , scared me even at times and I still had chills 15 minutes after walking out and onto the cobbled stone streets of Covent Garden making my way back to Somerset House. As I arrived to meet my lovely Laura Whitmore pre-Osman show , I was still reeling from the energy of Charlie's show. Upon entering Osman a blue rippled runway gave me clues that the inspiration would be some what ocean inspired. As the first model strode out with her cleopatra style wig it was clear the inspiration came from the seas of Egypt and for a collection that would normally consist of neutral tones Osman did something new and added a hot punch of colour. Neon Pink , bright blues, oranges and hues of green sat along side his usual colour palette and yet again it became obvious that colour is going to be a strong winter trend.
with Osman over it was time to get ready for the show of the evening - Matthew Williamson. When I recieved confirmation of my invitation I almost squealed. If last season's highlight was Dame Westwood this season was all about Prince William-son. Matthew's shows always attract a bevvy of A-Lister's and then there are the clothes! As I entered the gorgeous South-West location to Jacquetta Wheeler being papped in a Williamson splendour of sequins and feathers my heart started racing and a glass of Moet later (pre-show drinks in the foyer) I made my way to the front section of the runway. Standing (this is Matthew Williamson and I am only Deni) a hop skip and a jump away from Olivia Palermo & Alexa Chung , the show begun. With the first look it was very clear to me that this is where high-end was at. The quality of the clothes were
above and beyond anything I've seen this season and the effortless chic styling was everything Matthew Williamson stands for - a colourful, cultured, international woman. Who whether she be jet setting around the world or attending private yacht-parties on the riviera - she will always look fabulous in a kind of 'I just threw this on' type of way. As the finale of girls strode the runway and Matthew popped out for his bow (my camera wasnt quick enough to snap him) the show was over and I made my way through the crowd - only to be star strucked by Alexa
Chung on my exit. As I walked out of the venue and into the brisk London night I had another one of those moments where I stopped , took in my surroundings and exhaled in disbelief that I was lucky enough to be in this amazing city experiencing such amazing things! Updates on days 4 & 5 coming up soon xoxo Deni

No comments:

Post a Comment