Wednesday, March 16, 2011

...a life changing last day of LFW!

...as I woke up on the final day of LFW I reflected on the shows I'd been to. The trends I'd seen and the inspiration it had continued to give me. Shows can become quite repetitive but when you see a collection like Matthew Williamson, attend a show like PPQ and feel shaken up by Charlie Le Mindu - it reminds me why I love fashion so much. Its walking art and continues to inspire. I couldn't wait for the final day as 2 of my favorite-absolute-must-see shows of the season were both taking place...but more on that in a moment. My outfit choice for the day was to embrace my new favorite trend - NEON - I stumbled across a pair of neon pink trousers on an appointment at Beyond Retro and immediately fell in love. Deciding to pair them with my new favorite cashmere sweater it was time to pull out the trousers for the final day of London Fashion Week & from the minute I stepped out of my flat and got onto the tube , the public reaction was strong - smiles, shakings-of-the-head, laughter combined with being stopped twice with a "OMG love the trousers where are they from?" - so far the trou' was making an impact...
I made my way over to my first highly anticipated show of the season - Meadham Kirchoff. During my first LFW whilst interning at Goodley , the Meadham Kirchoff show was by far the most intense , stressful show I worked but as soon as the lights went low and the show began it was mind blowing, overwhelming and extraordinary all at once. Last season was no different - so this season I made sure I arrived to the Topshop venue ahead of time to avoid crowds. I picked up my copy of The Daily , glass of Moet on arrival and made my way over to my seat... ...as I was an early bird I decided to make my way over to the runway to inspect the set on the catwalk , a combination of what seemed to be images of the M&K boys from their youth , peace notes and candles I sensed yet again another incredible Meadham Kirchoff experience on its way Once seated , I funnily enough happened to sitting next to one of the Fashion Directors from ELLE magazine , through the world of PR I knew exactly who she was and wasn't sure whether to introduce myself to her..."Great trousers" she said , "Where are they from..." and just like that conversation started and before I knew it she offered me an interview in May for a paid internship at ELLE - one of my favorite UK Fashion publications , I was starting to think these trousers could be a lucky charm. Suddenly the lights went low and music begun - witch theme style music blared over the sound system and screeching violins followed with a mass of models
coming out ready to enter the show space. Like an army they all walked out together at once...
Once they made it all the way out onto the runway they begun to alternate back and forth and across like a well orchestrated chess game, I was overwhelmed, excited, it was truly amazing. Lasting a mere 2 and a half minutes it was the quickest show I had ever been to and by far one of the best -the looks , all of which seemed inspired by a mix of witches, the amish and the jews
after the show I spotted a very familiar face. 5 years ago while studying at the Paris Institute of Fashion , one of my lecturers was the famous Diane Pernet , an incredibly talented woman who was among the first fashion bloggers - she is truly one of the most inspiring people I've ever met. I approached her tapping her on the shoulder "Diane , my name is Denis , you were my lecturer 5 years ago at PFI , I just want you to know you inspired me so much" , "Well 5 years on its obviously paid off , you're doing well it seems" , and I updated her on what i've been up to since
- it was such a great moment to be able to think back to that time and see how far i've come... After my dose of high-edge fashion it was off to BodyAmr for a quick dose of Glamour - being stopped twice along the way to have my picture taken - the pink trousers were a winner! BodyAmr was a beautiful collection combining his signature draping , silks , embellishment , fur and leather and boasted lots of colour and Miss Amber Rose & Nicola Roberts in the front row......as I made my way back to Somerset House I had a few hours to kill before the last (and always my favorite) show of the season - Ashish - however after being stuck in an elevator that seemed to last forever , a guy in the elevator asked me to take his spare invitation to the Amanda Wakely show as his date was a no show. With time on my hands I decided to go along , the collection - to be quite honest - was nothing to write home about, what followed however is another story. As the last look hit the runway and the show was over I noticed large amounts of flashbulbs circulating the front row - who is it - I wondered, so I pondered over to see the editor of British Vogue Alexandra Shulman being interviewed in the front row - that's who it is... As I then made my way out of the crowded show , moving at snails pace sandwiched between a mass of people I then turned to my right to see A.Shulman right next to me. "Ok Denis...you have to introduce yourself , you can do it" - ran through my mind and before I knew it I turned to her and said "Hi Alex, could I trouble you for a moment of your time" , to which she stopped and turned towards me and smiled. "Basically , I'm a fashion assistant who's moved from Australia to London to pursue my fashion career and Vogue has always been my dream , to intern with Vogue would be an incredible honour , how do I make that a reality" , "Well put all of that in an email including your CV and email my managing director" , "Thankyou for your time" and with that said my heart skipped a beat and little did I know that 2 minute moment in time would lead to the opportunity of a life time (but more on that to come in another post). Fuelled with inspiration I was ready for the last show of the season - Ashish. The invite was by far the cutest I received all week -shaped like a small train ticket stub it put a huge smile on my face... I took my seat and the usual team of their A-Listers took their seats. Paloma Faith, Marina (from the Diamonds) , Nicola Roberts , Amber Rose etc...took their seats and just before the show begun the gorgeous M.I.A made her way in! Then suddenly it began - to the beat of M.I.A's vocal the sequin party started and yet again Ashish delivered his incredible expertise in my always favorite sequins - introducing menswear , every look made me squeal and the energy in the room was undeniable - it was everything the Ashish show promises and more! Purely amaz!

The finale was welcomed with roars of applause and as I made my way out , smiling ear to ear - always an after effect from an Ashish show , I couldn't believe the week that had been. From styling a show , to being interviewed by Janice Dickinson. Celebrating 6 months of working with an amazing girl I now call one of my best friends. Attending the breathtaken Matthew Williamson to the truly inspiring Meadham Kirchoff. Topped off with a brush from Vogue and a stellar Ashish show. It was truly another LFW I won't soon forget. To top off the week my lucky pink trousers recieved some press attention featuring in both the METRO - a free newspaper with the highest readership as its handed out at every tube station across London , to then appearing in the Street Style pages of The Daily - the special supplement put together by The Daily Telegraph every fashion week to update the Fashion world on the collections each day.

There's something so liberating about walking around in a bold colour and it taught me something , no matter who laughs , stares or admires you, never be ashamed of what you are and what your dreams are...keep following them , because when I stop and think about all that's happening to me , this little boy is realising his big dreams are slowly coming true! xoxo Deni

1 comment:

  1. Great Blog this week deni, I read it instead of studying for my maths exam. time well spent I say!
    XOXOXO LOVE YOU.

    ReplyDelete