Sunday, January 17, 2010

LONDON STREET STYLE - SPITALFIELD & BRICK LANE MARKETS!

The sun pearced through my windows this morning at around 9am and I wasnt sure whether I had woken up in the right city. Sun on a winter day in London - surely this cant be true. I peeked through my venetian blinds and squinted - apparently yes it was true. Without hesitation my sunday afternoon in soon became 'I have to get out of the house'. That and I had to pop into work in the afternoon also. Either way , I sprung up had a shower and got ready. I decided today before heading into the West End (which incase y'all havent figured out is where I work) - I would head East to the Spitalfield & Brick Lane markets and do some style snapping of Londonites in their 'Sunday-Best' , I felt it appropriate to debut my 5pound trousers also! I teamed them with my long sleeve grey thermal tee (possibly one of the best things i've ever purchased) and a grey check argyle knit vest my mum bought me from Target. I completed the look with a thick chain also from H&M and zipped my 'i'm-almost-dead' ZU military boots up!As I got off the tube at Liverpool Station (my destination) I noticed a woman from a distance sporting an eye-grabbing faux fur (i think) coat - 'Follow her' I thought. I needed to see the rest of the outfit. From behind her swung a gold 'Hello Kitty' enviro-bag that literally made me smile from ear to ear , up next I noticed a pair of black leather gloves with encrusted bows at the entry and finally I realised her long blonde locks were very GaGa inspired! This womans look was fun! When she pleasantly accepted my proposal of posing for me , I couldnt stop smiling. She really was having with the way she dressed which I think at the end of the day is what its all about!As I continued to walk up along Liverpool Street I noticed three kids - I use the term 'kids' loosely as they would've been about 24-25 years old - who had casual-cool style down to a tee! They were 'too cool' to pose for me , I could just tell , but I managed to snap them walking away! I love the girl in the middle and the way she's teamed this sequinned zippy with tights & cons!
As I continued to walk towards the Spitalfield Markets , I noticed a couple walk out of a trendy cafe (the same cafe I just saw my GaGa inspired fashionista walk into). They were both the epitome of cool but the girl caught my eye immediatley. With her floral print dress layered under her oversized cardigan and perfectly cropped leather jacket. Her unique jewellery and Ray Ban Wayfarers were the perfect addition to her Kate-Moss-cool ensemble! She was very sweet and told me that she too was a blogger - I wish I asked her what her blog was - honey if your reading please get intouch with me and let me know so I can visit your blog :)
Also on her way to Spitalfield Markets was this fabulous young lady walking out of above mentioned-cafe. Her animal print blazer and vintage Moschino belt immediatley caught my eye. She complimented my $5 'Diva' skull ring & said she had one just like it from Topshop! Too cute!
As I walked up to the Brick Lane markets , thats when all the creativity really started to flourish. These kids were cool and they knew it - and by kids I do mean kids. Most of the trendsetter's I saw ranged from 17-23 at the oldest. But they all had one thing in common - individuality. Each look different to the next - yet slightly similar , I mean if I had a pound for everytime I saw a girl wearing a vintage fur coat I could've bought myself one - however as I walked down Brick Lane this girl caught my eye. She was rocking vintage in an almost 'fancy dress' way. It was as if she had gone into her grandmother's closet and came out a new person.
Her animal print faux-fur coat , teamed with what I'm guessing is a real fur stole , vintage hat & belt strapped across the knitted wool dress she told me 'her mum makes...' were funked up with her badass military boots. A cigarette appropriatley in hand she posed happily for my lense. As I continued to walk towards the bridge I noticed a very cool japanese couple. They posed with great pleasure and when I complimented her bag she informed me it was Jeremy Scott for Lonchamp. Jeremy Scott is a cool American fashion designer who has done very graphic collaborations with the likes of Adidas and french design house Longchamp. I'm lovin this duo!
Last but not least was my favorite girl of the day! As I walked further into the hub of Brick Lane I noticed a 'Religion' store - Religion is one of my favorite t-shirt labels. I can always find a Religion tee I like & with SALE written in enormous writing on their shop window I had to go in. The second I walked through the door I noticed one of the floor staff. Her style IMMEDIATLEY stood out from the crowd. Black & White striped jerseye long sleeve , sleeves rolled up and I later found out it was a menswear peice she customised herself by sewing in some shoulder pads (adding a very Balmain feel to her look). Faded black cuffed shorts , black tights and boots completed her look. On her right wrist stood a solid white watch , exactly like my black one , its modelled after the Chanel J12 - whether or not it was infact Chanel i'm not sure because I was too in awe of this girl I didnt even look for a label. I got speaking to her and found out her name was Sadie & she was the manager of the store. I asked if she could step outside to pose for me. 'I'll just grab my jacket' she said in her New York accent (english born - just got back from NYC -- this girl was getting cooler by the minute) and then she put on the Givenchy inspired , Religion leather jacket I eyed in the store about 5minutes earlier. This girl = amazing! She epitomises the kind of style I love , confident , tough , glamorous and down right cool! She took my breath away.
I walked away from my Sunday Style Snapping so incredibly inspired by the streety style I saw today. Its because of girls like 'Sadie' that I want to be a fashion designer. They inspire me so much , their individual style , their thoughts , their music choices , the styling of their outfits - this is the girl I want to design for , this is the type of girl I want to lust over my clothes - London I am overwhelmed by the inspiration you continue to give me! Thankyou xoxo Deni



No comments:

Post a Comment