Sunday, December 20, 2009

INSIDE ELTON JOHN'S WARDROBE!

Hey guys! So i've worked all weekend and the weather is still prooving to be incredibly cold! Yesterday however I had an inspirational adventure. Sir Elton John (last week) cleaned out his closet , quite literally and dumped the contents of many a designer peice of clothing, shoes and accessories to go for sale on exhibition in Covent Garden all the proceedings going to aids charity.
Apart from the fact that its quite a generous thing to do, I wanted a sticky beak into the wardrobe of the short little gay man who plays the piano hehe i've always had this fetish for being let into peoples wardrobes. I love the idea of seeing the clothes behind the man or woman. The peices we put together on a daily basis to express ourselves to the big world outside. So off it was for me to Covent Garden to rummage through the Queen of all Queens' wardrobe.
To give an example of how big the location was , I imagine it normally reserved for art exhibitions etc but the pure enormity of the space (filled with clothes) was overwhelming. It made me imagine , if this is how much clothes he's giving away , how much more does he have and where did he fit all of this to begin with. I was extremley envious I must say. In the middle of the room, on mannequins, were some of Elton's more outlandish stage peices , the man used to be quite skinny , that all changed. However the contents were quite impressive. His collection of coats were immaculate. There were many a Burberry , my favorites were a soft-as-a-baby's-bum mahogany leather trench coat & a metallic bronze heavy silk trench coat. There was an amazing brown crocodile skin Fendi biker jacket and a beautiful pony (or rabbit) skin Bottega Venetta pea coat. Heavenly! The man also loved Versace from Gianni's 80s reign (the two were famously best of friends). There were some gaudy gold-mesh-metal tank tops but then some really cool peices like for example a black with yellow spray paint print tee that had zippers on either side as the opening for sleeves. My favorite was a black knit that just had one simple stripe of metallic silver at the bottom and on the left hand sleeve - simple with just the right amount of fabulousness to it! There were lots of amazing shoes , too many pairs to count. Some amazing suits , a stand out peice was a very traditional english tweed blazer that was then funked up with a black skull print on the back , not by any particular designer just a cool peice. There were some amazing Alexander McQueen suits and a few cool Prada peices also. The prices were quite reasonable too , most peices ranging from 199pounds to as low as 30pounds. The heavy-ticket items like the previously mentioned trench coats fetched a higher price tag , but still much cheaper then their original retail worth. However no purchases were made for two reasons - most things were too big and also I have rent to pay! See i'm being sensible. All in all it was a very cool expedition and very inspiring as it was like a museum of fashion ranging over 3 decades. Everything from Billionaire Boys Club hoodies to vintage Yohji Yamamoto - Elton's fashion pallette is clearly quite varied. Good on him I say! As I left busy Covent Garden a big reindeer in the middle of the square took my attention - I'm a sucker for fairy lights, too cute!Now on another note , to update you all on my Stella McCartney news - last week I heard from the Gucci Group (the group who owns Stella McCartney) advising me that currently they had nothing to offer but have all my details for future referene. I guess for now its just not meant to be , but either way I have an amazing story to tell out of it and still have the contact of someone inside the Stella camp and I can assure you all I will not give up on my fashion dreams! I will continue knocking on people's doors - Alexander-McQueen-scarf-to-boot -until they have no choice but to let me through into fashion mecca! I have the next two days off so will be sure to continue exploring and deliver more interesting posts. Love you all xoxo Deni


No comments:

Post a Comment