Monday, November 2, 2009

AUTUMN LEAVES & A DOSE OF FASHION!

Hi guys! So as previously mentioned my weekend consisted solely of work. It was quite busy and full on - all weekend we were expecting Diesel's head designer Renzo Russo to come in and visit the store. Everyone was on edge as you can imagine however he cancelled both on Friday and Saturday. He ended up making a suprise appearance on Sunday morning just before my shift started so I missed it. Apparently he was really nice and very down to earth though. So today Ben & I both had a day off and we had planned to go for a walk through Hyde Park as I still havent gotten around to doing that and then an afternoon at the V&A Museum to check out all the fashion it has to offer. So Hyde Park - now lets just start by saying that its so nice to be in a part of the world where I can actually enjoy a real autumn. Leaves surround me in hues of bright orange , amber , golden red , citrus yellow and stained apple green. Walking through Hyde Park it was just incredible to see all the gorgeous big trees carelessly shedding their autumn leaves onto the parks ground - Autumn almost puts a magical vibe in the air I thinks its a very romantic season and very underated. Its cold enough to wear a nice knit yet not cold enough to freeze your ass off. There's a crisp bite in the air that caresses your face as the sun peaks thru.
Hyde Park is enormous - much like Central Park in New York apparently only smaller. It is a very big park however and full of people. From runners , to tourists , to dog walkers and even Priests. The park is full of its own inhabitants too. Ben happily approached a friendly squirrel taking as many close up pictures as he could - I chose to step away from the squirrel altough they're very cute at times they slightly remind me of rats - not cute! The lake/river that runs through Hyde Park is full of ducks of all shapes and sizes some stay & some come out to play.
Within Hyde Park are the Kensington Gardens & The Kensington Palace where Princess Diana and her sons lived for a big chunk of their lives. I think its quite interesting how a person of such high stature would live in quite a public area but as they say she was the People's Princess. Here's a picture of where she lived - I think its a bit plain but alas still quite cool.
So we walked out of the gardens and started walking towards the V&A - we walked for half an hour in the wrong direction but it was quite cool as we got to discover a really nice posh area between Kensington & Chelsea. The streets were quintessentially London and with their beautiful sandstone facades and black gates and the autumn leaves lining the streets was the perfect touch. As we were walking we saw a carwash with this sign - umm typo? So funny!!!
Once we finally got to the V&A it was straight for the fashion - another great thing about London is that entry to all museums is free - unless you're going to a specific exhibition - so that was a bonus. Now the V&A is renown for its collection of vintage and current fashion. Ben & I had gone to a V&A exhibition in Bendigo called 'Golden age of Couture' which was mindblowing - so I was expecting some amazing stuff. To be fair we were both slightly underwhelmed. There were some cool peices for sure but a very small selection and not quite what I thought there would be. These were my favorite peices. A vintage Elsa Schiaperelli dress - I love the beading work.

and this vintage corset. To some , just a peice of lingerie , but when you look at the detailing and the handwork thats gone into this its absolutley incredible. This peice was really inspiring to me.After the V&A we went into the city and had a walk through Selfridges and now here I am sitting in bed typing to all of you. I really enjoyed today - off to work tomorrow. Till then xoxo Deni

1 comment:

  1. that sign is a pisser deni i rolled around laughing when i saw that what were they thinking......

    ReplyDelete