Monday, February 8, 2010

INTERN DIARIES - DAY ONE!

I woke up this morning the same way most children wake up on christmas morning - excited and ready for the day to begin! Today was the day I started my internship and come hail or shine (or snow) it was going to be a good day. Now first challenge of the day was what to wear. I being me had thought about it all weekend , how do I want to look , what style should I go for - and I decided to leave it till this morning to see what inspired me. For some reason the first thing that came to my mind when I was staring blankly at my wardrobe was the following memory -
...Carrie Bradshaw's first day at Vogue. It was the beginning of a new chapter in her life - she was stylish, daring, unique and most of all confident. I looked through my wardrobe and to my bedside table where a pair of shoulder pads sat inspiring me to recreate the look I showed last weekend at our Diesel outing - it was quite the hit - but I needed to make it appropriate for the workplace , slightly more corporate , though it is PR and it is Fashion PR so almost anything goes as long as you wear it with a bit of confidence. I decided to rock my stripey shoulder pad jumper layered with my H&M asymetrical flowing black cardigan and skinny black jeans. The shoulder pads in the jumper frame the cardi perfectly and with the sleeves rolled up slightly to show the stripes from underneath the look is polished while remaining cool and urban. My ode to Carrie!
*I like how the cardi looks like an almost free-flowing blazer - anyway enough about my outfit! Out into the day I stepped and as I got off at Green Park *10 minutes early - bravo Deni - I rang the buzzer and was greeted by one of the PR girls - gorgeous , blonde , tall , wearing skinny jeans and a cable knit while Ralph Lauren polo. 'Hiya I'm Denis' - I greeted her and ushered I was into our section of the office. The office just to cover off is probably around the size of a small house - or really big penthouse apartment. I drew a little floor plan of the office to give you an idea of it...
In the section labeled 'Interns' is pretty much where me and the 3 other interns do all our work along with our boss Thanos. In the section labeled 'P.R Girls' sit the 5 or 6 (I think) permanent PR Girls who do obviously more important things - if thats even the right way to describe it but you catch my drift. There also sits Kara Goodley the owner of the company. The Showroom (also known as heaven) is exactly how I some day would love my wardrobe to look like , if you could imagine the following with me please do - you open the french doors and infront of you are two rails of designer clothing. On the walls of the perimeter are more rails that lay both at eye level and then there is a rail above , where clothes can only be reached via a big pokey stick hehe a little section off to the back on the left hand side is allocated for shoes - oh the shoes! and then there are more shoes , jewellery and accessories (bags, fascinators etc) that are spread through out and around the clothes rails according to designer/supplier etc...here's another sketch to help you visualize the layout of the showroom - i'm no architect so excuse my dodgy scribbling...
...a big part of Goodley's day to day work revolves around the showroom. Clothes & Accessories are constantly being sent out to magazines , stylists , celbrities , editors - to be worn by celebrities at events , on the red carpet , shot for shoots or featured in magazine layouts , in some cases even used in exhibitions. These all then need to be returned. This provides us interns with a major part of our day to day job , the inventory of 'Booking In' and 'Booking Out' peices. Anything that goes out must be 'booked out' and everything that come backs to us is 'booked in' - quite self explanatory. It was 9.35 and already half an hour into the day there was clothes being dropped off at reception to be booked in and couriers arriving to collect things that were being booked out. One of the first things I have to do in the mornings is collect a bundle of newspapers (that I swear feel like they weigh about 2kgs) to be then brought in to the PR Girls as the first hour or so of their day consists of going through all the papers, seeing what the news is or more importantly 'who's in the news', whether any of their clients clothes have been papped on celebrities, whether there is anyone currently in the spotlight who would be a good person to send some of our clients clothes to etc... Some of our stock gets picked up by courier , either by motorbike , bicycle etc...some we have to hand deliver ourselves. My first assignment of the day was to hand deliver a top & pair of shoes to be shot for GLAMOUR Magazine!
On my black pashmina went and off I was trotting away over to GLAMOUR HQ on Old Bond St goods in hand and cheesy grin plastered on my face. I took the elevator up to the 4th Floor of the building and opened the double doors into Glamour - a brunette with a headset fingere waved at me to just wait a moment while she got off the phone. "Im from Goodley PR delivering some peices for a shoot" - goods received and that was it, out the door and back to GOODLEY HQ! I must say from what I saw of Glamour HQ , not so glamorous - our offices are so much nicer and way more glamorous! Back at Goodley the mountain of clothes to be booked in was only growing. While tidying through the showroom my gorgeous friend Rachel strolled in and assigned me with a task. Now just some information before I metnion my task and you all go 'what the?' - as well as lusted after high-end-designer peices Goodley also has a client that does high-end-designer-plus-size-clothes , which I for one think is a fantastic idea - your body shape should not stop you from looking fabulous. So my assignment was to pull some peices together to be styled for a shoot in 'Weight Watchers Magazine' - the themes of the shoot were 'Glam Day wear' and 'Ladies who lunch' so I pulled a few different peices that could be styled together and made up 6 outfits for them to chose from , accessories included. I had to get the Ok of Rachel before they could be booked out so she came around , loved it all and before I knew it I had 'kinda styled' a photo shoot. I didnt even know Weight Watchers Magazine existed until today and altough its not Vogue , you've gotta start somewhere! Either way I appraoched it with the same enthusiasm as I would if the shoot were for Vogue - and personally I think the WW readers will be pleased!

'Booking in' and 'Booking Out' came and went throughout the afternoon and before I knew it I was off on another 'out of the office' delivery assignment. I had to go deliver a pair of shoes to the mother of one of our shoe designers 'Mechante' - who's shoes by the way are amazing - she lives in Mayfair , about a 5minute walk away from the office and I was given specific directions of how to get there. To buzz the door bell and inform her house keeper that I was from Goodley PR - once let in I was to walk in the apartment turn left walk up and leave the shoes by the door or with either the maid or the 'mother-of-designer' herself depending whether or not she'd be homed. I was told she had dogs but that they were always kept away in the kitchen - phew, I thought , as we all know my fear of dogs! Off I was , in what appeared to be the start of some fresh snow and began my walk through Berkley Square up to my destination. Suddenly I felt like Anne Hathaway in 'The Devil Wears Prada'! 5 minutes later and I was lost - luckily while out I received a call from Ben and quickly asked him to Google map the address for me and call me back for directions - bless his soul he was right onto it and just as he called I found my way there. As I approached the amazing apartment the main door was wide open as it appeared some contractors were doing some renovating and then within seconds the cute indian housekeeper dressed in a pink and white uniform greeted me at the door and took the shoes from me with a smile on her face. 'That wasnt daunting at all' - I thought and off I went back to the office. More clothes had been sent out and received in and before I knew it 6pm had arrived end of day was here and I realised I hadnt even taken a lunch break. My first day was awesome - being surrounded my beautiful clothes - purely amazing works of fashion - the buzz of a fashion office and working with people equally passionate as me was refreshing and inspiring and something tells me things are only going to get more interesting , fashion week is just around the corner and tomorrow is day 2! Keep reading my lovelies xoxo Deni

No comments:

Post a Comment