Saturday, February 27, 2010

LONDON FASHION WEEK - DAY ONE!

*the following paragraph was written on my blackberry as it happened...


I'm currently riding in a private car with Kara Goodley to our first show for fashion week Felder Felder - as specificly required by Kara herself. Is this really happening? Somebody pinch me!

8 HOURS EARLIER

I couldnt believe , as I woke up this morning , that today was the first day of London Fashion Week. I couldnt believe that after only 5 months of coming to this country , I would be working LFW. How did this happen to me? I couldnt believe how lucky I was. I took a moment to reflect before the hustle and bustle was due to begin - ok moment over - time to get dressed. I threw on a comfortable pair of harem style trousers , black with grey panels in the leg and only 5pounds on sale at H&M , paired them with an old favorite Ksubi tee , rocked some jewellery and a beanie. I thought in the evening I'll just throw some shoulder pads and do my hair for the show
As I arrived to the office I was immediatley assigned to quickly run out and do a few errands , a few last minute invites needed to be walked out for shows starting later in the week. I willingly took the assignment and made sure I did it efficiently , its LFW and there's much to be done & my main goal is to prove to the Goodley team that i've got what it takes. Back from my errands and it was time to tidy the showroom , apart from the fact that it should always be tidy , it was fashion week and at any time an editor , stylist or special guest could arrive requesting something from the showroom so it needed to be in perfect order. I quickly stopped for a drink of water and as Kara walked passed she stopped and said 'You Mr. were amazing last night at the Rika party, thankyou for all your help' - 'Thankyou' I replied, I couldnt beleive this, to receive such a compliment from her was an honor and the perfect way to start my fashion week. At one point I was sent out to get Jane a hot chocolate when I noticed , while waiting , that Kara was up at the counter waiting for her coffee. She stood there in the most amazing fur jacket i've ever seen. A light brown and white combination with pink pattern through it - it sounds awful I realise but its amazing! Now the way I saw this I had two options , I could either pretend I hadnt seen her , dont speak to her , or make an effort and let her get to know me better. I approached her and before I knew it we were chatting about Fashion Week , the future of new designers and Prada turbans - this was no Miranda Priestly moment , I was having a genuine conversation with this amazing woman in quite a random way. Before I knew it , the time had arrived for us to almost leave for the Felder Felder show. However , not all the interns could go to this show so it was decided by our office manager Thanos , that our names would be put into a hat and chosen fairly. I hoped with every inch of my being that i would be chosen , yet stood there calmly not making a fuss and willing to stay if that was the case. When my name was picked I sighed relief and just said 'cool' - calmly. The fashion gods are looking down on me! Before all the interns headed off , Kara , one of the directors Annette and Sarah , the PR girl who's incharge of the Felder Felder account , needed to leave to get there a bit earlier. Someone had to go along to help however and when asked '...right who's ready to leave with Kara?' , by Thanos , Kara replied "I want Deni to come with me , Deni get yourself let's go" - I couldnt beleive what was happening , grabbed my coat and bag and followed this amazing woman.

FAST FORWARD TO IN THE CAR AS FIRST PARAGRAPH BEGAN

Kara Goodley is one of those incredible women who knows exactly what to say and when to say it. Not only does she have a fantastic sense of humour , wit and cheekiness about what she says she is the epitome of urban chic. As we arrive to Victoria House the location of the show we are given our backstage passes and ushered down the hall through to backstage. I cant explain how I felt , the backstage frenzy , the buzz of the models running around , hair & make up doing their thing , sheer excitement and anticipation in the air - it was like a drug and I was already hooked!The Felder girls (twin sisters) were tall , thin and beautiful. They chatted to Kara pre-show, talked into their blackberries and made sure the models were primmed perfectly for the show.Before the show begins , we're sent onto the runway to put down Press Releases - basically a few statements explaining the inspiration behind the designers collection and a bit about the designer/designers to give the guests a better idea of what they're about to see. Evian water is put down in the front row and goodie bags are put to the side to be given to VIPs at the end.

Before I knew it guests were almost ready to be seated and interns were scattered across the room to stand , look pretty and represent Goodley. However I was given a clipboard and advised to help the PR girls with seating the guests - I couldnt beleiving they were trusting me 'the intern' to work with them - Deni this is your chance. Before I knew it , lists on clipboard , clipboard in hand I was seating people as efficiently as the PR girls and then to my suprise a Paparazzi frenzy occured as Pixie Geldof arrived at the show. True to what you would think , she bopped around in her mini and rock boots running across the front row talking to friends , sitting on her boyfriends lap and just having that rockstars-daughter-i-dont-give-a-fuck sensibility. From the first beats of the music , the energy was in the air and the show began. The collection was a fusion of androgny and femininity. Leather, studs, corsets and embellishment , very much Felder Felder's signature style. The first look a black corset dress - I couldnt stop smiling!The models strode down the runway with their fierce confidence as the show came to an end. I went backstage with Kara & co and introduced myself to the Felders - they were such sweet girls and I hold them how they're one of my favorite of our labels and truly an inspiration to me. Kara thanked me for all my help and before I knew it I was getting ready to head home walking with the PR girls to the tube station. "Deni , you're one of us now" , said Sarah - and with that sentence I smiled the whole way home. I had never felt so exhausted and so excited for tomorrow all at the same time. Fashion week started with a bang and I was in my element...


xoxo Deni

No comments:

Post a Comment