Sunday, February 28, 2010

LONDON FASHION WEEK - DAY THREE!

I woke up on Day 3 of LFW feeling the need to be slightly geeky-cool for one of the most important shows on our calendar was on this afternoon (meadham kirchoff...but more on that later) , so I channeled my inner Brad (Rachel Zoe's assistant) and rocked a check shirt , bow tie , beanie and faux glasses look for another day of non stop action. I was uber pleased with my look! I met Rach at the office in the morning and within half an hour we were hailing a cab to head to Somerset House for the Future classics show - Show numero uno for the day. Backstage was cool as a cucumber and everything was organised well planned and not hectic in any way - it felt kind of strange as its normally a lot more hustle and bustle at shows backstage. Back at front of house of the Portico rooms we delayed the show as long as possible for the arrival of our Vogue representative. Once she arrived , seated front row with Kara herself , the show was ready to begin. The collection was full of beautiful pieces styled perfectly together for the urban warrior princess who wants to remain feminine and cool. My favorite pieces were a striped hoody , striped leggings in the same colour way and these awesome little fur hats some of the looks had. *notice Kara and Miss.Vogue (I cant remember her name for the life of me) in the front row.*women of the world take not (my mother included) grey hair is on the rise - as picture shows above Miss.Vogue herself sporting her grey mane loud and proud - its also made an appearance on the catwalks of Chanel and on young blogger Tavi (yes slightly ironic I know) but its definitley not embarrassing to sport your grey hair any more ladies so embrace it if you so desire! The show was a success and there will be many wearable/sellable/styleable (if thats a word) pieces , that i'm sure many a girl will want to get their hands on. As I thanked guests for their presence I was tapped on the shoulder "...Kara wants you backstage" - with that sentence I swooped backstage to find the amazing Kara post-costume change into a fierce pair of Meadham Kirchoff trousers , blouse and cropped sweater "Kara you look amazing" - I exclaimed , and truly she did. This woman can pull any look off , and with the throw of her fur over she entrusted me with taking her gorgeous daughters bag (a baby pink carry all with her baby pink bunny sticking out of it) to bring to the Meadham Kirchoff show with me. Her daughter , can I just say , is as equally stylish as her mother , sporting her Stella McCartney for GAP jeans , and a Miu Miu puffy parka she was too cute for words! It feels like every day that goes by I become more comfortable with Kara and continue to be so incredibly in awe of her - amazing business woman and incredible mother all in one! Off to the Meadham Kirchoff show - bunny bag in tow - through the streets of Covent Garden all the roads were blocked as the BAFTA's were going on and red carpet mayhem was in overdrive. We could hear the roar of screaming fans and the blinding flash of paparazzi was unavoidable. The Meadham show was in a large venue - the same venue that Elton John had his costume exhibition in - however we were early and told to come back in an hour as there was currently another show on. The other interns and I wandered the streets to find some food - a bag of crisps and a bag of cookies for me - and then I received a phone call from Rach advising me to buy some vegetarian sushi for Kara. 'No problem' I thought - wrong. Finding fresh vegetarian sushi on a sunday in Covent Garden seemed impossible and before I knew it I was running around the streets like a madman (bunny bag still in tow) to find some decent sushi. After almost 10minutes of running I finally found a 'Wasabi' three blocks away to finally find some fresh vegetarian sushi 'SUCCESS at last' I thought - and suddenly as I ran back through the overl packed streets knocking people with Mr.Bunny Bag as I went , sushi in hand I couldnt help but feel slightly Anne Hathaway-esque! I got to the venue , delivered my sushi , but my bag away and started to help put press releases and goodie bags out. As I walked into the venue it was the first time we've had a show in quite a theatrical setting. The Meadham Kirchoff boys had layed persian rugs , hung tinsel and printed wallpaper from the roofs and a 4,000 pound fragrance machine - dispersing perfume into the air , set a scene of Persia-meets-Spain for this colorful collection. The models backstage were getting primmed as I snapped away!
After being instructed to help seat the 300+ guests invited I was overwhelmed by how many people were to attend this show. The house was literally full , each row , each block packed to the rafters. I asked people to move , so as to make room for front row VIPs '...please guys can we make some room for - insert name - Editor of Italian Elle magazine' - in the past few days sentences such as these had become such common play that I had to take a second to stop and embrace the moment and the amazingness of my current state of life! Back to work it was and everyone was seated. I managed to squeeze myself in the paparazzi pit as italian papparazo shouted and yelled at me to get out of their way. The entire space went pitch black and noises of thunder and wind blared through the venue. Birds chirped and the lights came on - showtime!
The collection was very different to Meadham Kirchoff's signature dark sombre design aesthetic , in a review I later read the boys were quoted as saying , they wanted to create as many beautiful pieces as they could and mix them all together in a juxtaposition of crazy looks! For the first time Meadham Kirchoff also used color , real vibrant popping color! During the whole show I couldnt help but smile at Kara & her two daughters in the front row - adorable, how lucky are these girls to be exposed to an amazing world of fashion at such a young age! The models did their final march , the boys came out to wave & the show was a success!
Editors , celebrities (I sat Roisin Murphy - singer of Moloko , for this show) , stylists and the like headed backstage to congratulate the boys where champagne had been popped and celebration was under way. It was very inspirational to see how happy the boys were and I suddenly had a moment where I thought 'One day Deni , One day'. It was also beautiful to see the pieces up close backstage as combined the looks seem a bit crazy but seperatley the pieces are quite amazing and can be quite wearable if paired down with the right seperates. For example this animal print vest worn with a plain white long sleeve and pair of black skinny jeans - perfection.

...as I left the venue , walking into the brisk London night , I felt once again , more inspired then ever to make my fashion dreams a reality...very very soon! xoxo Deni

No comments:

Post a Comment