Saturday, February 13, 2010

RIP ALEXANDER MCQUEEN!

I was standing in queue to get a cup of coffee at around 3.30pm on Thursday the 11th of February at a Diesel presentation I attended (which I will blog about at a later time) , when the person standing behind me , blackberry clutched in his hand , exclaimed 'Oh my God , Alexander McQueen is dead...' , my colleague Bonnie then turned to me and said 'Den Den Alexander McQueen , has killed himself' - I almost couldnt beleive whagt I was hearing , my body froze and trembled in unison and I couldnt form a sentence. Without speaking I picked up my phone and called Ben , when I informed him of the news he was in equal shock "No , No" he kept saying - I have truly converted Ben into a McQueen obsessee and almost not a day goes by that we dont talk about AMcQ for one reason or another so he is very much a part of our lives - I sat down at the table with my coffee and couldnt beleive what was happening. Suddenly a pit of emptiness formed in my chest and I felt as though I had lost a family member. Alexander McQueen was more than just a fashion designer to me , he was my inspiration. He represents all that is fashion and more so British Fashion. It is because of him that I even considered London as my fashion-journey. His collections were consistently stronger and stronger and his ideas more out of this world each time. He chose to take risks that others wouldnt think of. Who else would send out supermodel Shalom Harlow down a runway in a white canvas dress , layered with tulle , only then to be sprayed with black paint by two futuristic-looking spray gun robots! Who else would send a girl down with what looks like a bird feathered cage around her face followed with a dress covered entirely of bird feathers with red lippy smudged on her face!Who would send an army of girls down a runway looking like a star-trek-borg-queen-alien hybrid in 30cm shoes named the 'armadillo' which were then made illegal to ever go into production but then feircely debuted by Lady Ga Ga in her Bad Romance video. (the collection Ben and I were in Paris for , stalking it outside while the craziness took on inside)...


...Alexander McQueen. He truly is what everyone is referring to him as - a genius , a visionary , a once-in-a-lifetime designer. I cant imagine Fashion without him. The one thing I wanted when I got to London was a McQueen Skull Scarf , the skull his signature logo , but this is simply scraping the surface of McQueens true genius. I wish I could post all my favorite McQueen dresses and runway looks but this blog would be never ending. I wonder what will happen with the house of McQueen. Will someone take over , Will his show be held in 2 weeks at Paris Fashion Week - who knows. All I know is I feel blessed to have lived in a world called McQueen - you may be gone Alexander but you will never be forgotten. You have inspired me more than you will ever know. RIP x

No comments:

Post a Comment