Friday, October 16, 2009

AT THE END OF THE WORLD?

So this morning I woke up with a mission on my mind! Me and Benny need bedside tables for our room and I thought 'Wouldnt it be great to suprise him by picking them up bringing them home and - wait for it - setting them up all by myself , so when he gets home from work its all done' , peice of pie! Or so I thought. I got dressed in my casual-cool finest , Bonds Sloppy Joe , Chanel-esque necklace via - Sportsgirl , ripped up Cheap Mondays (finally they're out of the wash - p.s life is not as easy as having mum to do my washing these days) and I threw on my Marc Jacobs beanie and some Dior shades on to complete my look , hey even this kind of shopping can still be fun right? p.s suss my new Zara bag - I die! Fuckin loves it!
Basically there's a store over here called Argos. So basically you go in there and they have heaps of catalogues of its product, they sell everything from Bed side tables , to laundry baskets , to jewellery and even clothes I think? Anyway you walk in , nothing is on display , you go through the catalogue pick the item , go up to the counter pay for it , you get a number (very supermaket deli) and then wait for your item to come shooting down a conveyor belt and take it home! Yes, that is the Argos experience. Unfortunatley for me they didnt have any stock left of the bedside tables me and ben wanted so my suprise was officially ruined!!! It was turning out to be a sunny (but cool) day so I thought i'd text Ben and see if he wanted to go for an explore after he finished work at 2. We both hadnt been to 'At World's End' yet and have been dying to go! 'At World's End' - is the first store Vivienne Westwood and her husband opened back in the 80s when she was starting out as a designer. It became a landmark in fashion when she made it big by teaming up with the Sex Pistols and them wearing her clothes on stage. It was the era of the London Punk Scene and Viv was the queen in her domain. Punk rockers from all over London would march down to At World's End to get there saturday night outfits all sorted. Vivienne Westwood now has her own proper stores but A.W.E remains where it is and is mecca in the world of Westwood. So I thought i'd do Viv proud by rocking some cool vintage threads , altough not hers , this was the perfect excuse to pull out my new vintage VERSACE!!!
Took off the beanie , left the chain on and chucked on my bad-ass boots. Its a shame you cant see how beautiful the texture of this jumper is in this photograph. Off to Oxford Street to meet Benny at work where I'm greeted with my Mocha Frap and off to ...the end of the world. We had to go all the way out to Chelsea. An area Ben hasnt really explored yet so it was an explore for the both of us. *Interesting fact Kylie Minogue live's in Chelsea so I will be stalking this area more often. When we finally got to Kings Road we managed to find it. Its infamous winding clock out the front is still in original condition , exactly how Vivienne intended! This is the front..
We walked in and it was suprisingly incredibly small. About the size of my room walk-in-robe and bathroom back me in geelong and the ceilings were really low. A cabinet full of Vivienne Westwood jewellery sat to my left hand side and to my right hand side were headless weird kind of mannequins displaying Vintage Westwood peices from back in the 80s. A 5 step walk to my left again was some menswear , a rack of jumpers a few shirts and 3 jackets followed by some pigeon holes of Bags and then the tiniest bit of womenswear. The store was really quite under-whelming I must say , but for what it represents I'm glad we went and had a look at it. We then walked over through Battersea across the 'Albert Bridge' I beleive it was called and walked past what used to be the 'Battersea Power Station'. Ben was quite interested in this as he explained to me Battersea Power Station is a now unused coal-fired powerstation located on the south bank of the River Thames. It was built first in the 1930s. Over the past 50 years it has become one of the best known landmarks in London. The station's celebrity owes to numerous cultural appearances, which include a shot in The Beatles 1965 movie Help! and being used in the cover art of Pink Floyd's 1977 album Animals. Here's a picture of Ben poking a silly face and you can see the Power Station in the background.See its those chimneys in the background. Basically we kept on walking in hopes to find a store called 'Home Base' where we could buy some bedside tables from , but we got lost and probably the fact that we didnt have the street name or number of the store's location had something to do with it , so we decided to catch a bus home. The bus home - can I just say - was possibly the most crowded bus I have ever been on in my life. These buses are double decker people , top floor was totally packed , bottom floor was jam packed to the rafters of sitting and standing space. So as me and Ben were standing by the stairs I decided to park my booty on a stair and sit for comfort. I remember looking around me at all these people just wanting to get home. Infront of me a big black woman in a black & white tweed trench coat - did that thing when you blow your lips in frustration like your blowing on a trumpet. Next to me an eager little child tried to get down past me to stand by his mother. On my left hand side was a woman on her phone speaking another language but surely telling who ever she was talking to how packed the bus was , yet all I could think about was "Denis , you are sitting here on a crammed bus , sitting on a stair step in vintage-fucking-versace , what is wrong with this picture and where is your chauffer-driven town car" LOL if only! We finally got home and I decided to stop by the chicken shop for another 2pound Chicken Burger & Chips combo - how can I say no! So I forgot to mention my good news. Earlier today I got a call from Selfridges , my favorite department store, and I have an interview with them on Monday for a position in their menswear department - hello staff discount. Then tonight I got a call from Mike, the owner of One Of a Kind aka Vintage Couture Heaven , and he wants to me to come in on sunday to do a trial and to meet the owner and i'm going to get paid for it! How good is that! I'm quite happy about that just think , perhaps I could work at Selfridges , every other day work at One of a Kind and I would have a connection for current-season clothes and vintage-clothes , that really is heaven...oh and it would pay the rent too I guess hey. Thats it for me , I'll leave you all with this picture of B and I xoxo Deni

2 comments:

  1. hey deni make sure if you see kylie you give her a kiss from mee too ok

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denis yet another 2 interviews, that's nuts !! I love how easily you're finding them, good luck for them :) :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete