Monday, October 12, 2009

VOGUE AMBITIONS!

Well today was quite the adventure I must say! I woke up and starting prepping all the things I needed to bring with me as I was going to approach fashion heaven also knows as VOGUE! Portfolio - check! Resume & Cover Letter - on my USB so I needed to go to a internet Cafe to print it off. I also needed another copy of my resume & a cover letter for the Vivienne Westwood position I was applying for - check and check! I started to get ready , I plugged my ipod into the dock and started blaring Madonna's classic - VOGUE - how fitting! I thought it suited the occasion. I began the regime, shower , dry off, blow dry then off to straighten my hair , twease my eyebrows, apply my bronzer, and then style my hair. Next was the outfit selection. I decided to debut my new Yves Saint Laurent tee. I paired it with my grey blazer from Bardot , Cheap Monday skinny jeans and patent shoes from ZU. Finishing touches included pinning a skull brooch from Diva onto my blazer & jewellery consisted of my favorite House of Baulch Bracelet , a silver bangle and oversized brushed silver square ring also from Diva.
I was all Vogue'd up and ready to go and then Drama#1 occured - I couldnt find my set of house keys anyone , as I was home alone I needed to lock up before I left. I searched high and low , even called Ben to see if he had them by mistake , kept on looking for another 20minutes only to realise they were in my pocket all along! What a dickhead - i thought to myself! Next was time to get all my stuff lock up and go , then Drama#2 occured - I couldnt lock the door. I turned and turned and turned that key and it wouldnt lock. We have 2 locks on the door and 2 keys for each lock. One lock is big , One lock is little , One key is big , One key is little - so I assumed logically that big lock = big key & little lock = little key! Well I was wrong , after 10 minutes of trying I rang Ben '...Babe this fucking key isnt working' I said quite upset. Ben didnt seem to understand what I was doing wrong, he urged me to try all the keys and low and behold the little key was actually for the big lock and the big key was for the little lock - how stupid I thought! Alas, it worked and off I went into the city! I headed to the internet cafe printed off my resumes and necessary cover letters and was off. Next thing to do was get on the tube , then Drama#3 occured - I seemed to be lost! In the tiny little suburb of Brixton where I live , I couldnt find my way to the tube station , I walked 20 minutes in the wrong direction when all along I knew that from walking to the station with Ben it only takes about 10 minutes. I panicked and jumped on the first bus I saw - again I called Ben. He told me where to get off and which tube line to jump onto in order to get into the city - bless him! Once I finally got into the city I walked through Selfridges - for good luck hehe and then decided to go post off my Vivienne Westwood application. That was quite easy , found a post office and before I knew it my application was off. Now to find Vogue , with no address but my memory of walking past it with Ben. Yet again I walked for 45 minutes in the wrong direction (thankgod for my Ipod) , I couldnt understand why I was walking in the wrong direction so I pulled out my camera and examined the picture of the office I had took the previous day, thankfully it showed the address of VOGUE HOUSE. I walked into the nearest store to ask for directions to 'Hanover Square' which is where the offices were. I happened to walk into the Diesel store, a brand I quite like and the selection & stores here are much better than those back home. I asked the kind girls for directions and then happened to notice a sign on the counter saying 'Positons Vacant'..."are you looking for people" I asked, "Yes we are , are you looking for work" the woman smiled. "Well actually I am..." , I gave her a speel about my fashion education and how I've moved to London and she asked me to come to a group interview tomorrow night - things are looking up I thought! Its not Vogue , but its a paying job that could help me get on my feet till something better comes along.
As I walked up the street the Sex & The City theme song came onto my Ipod and at that moment I finally found my way to the Vogue offices , I must admit I slightly strutted towards those doors and then my heart began to skip quite a few beats faster than normal and I got a bit choked up! I walked through the revolving doors feeling slightly like Anne Hathaway in 'Devil Wears Prada' , to be greeted by a friendly old man with grey hair sitting behind the ground floor reception desk. Behind him in lights was a wall covered in VOGUE covers - I lost my breath a little bit at the thought of actually working for this fashion institution. "Hello Sir how can I help you" he asked me. "Hi , I have with me my resume and a cover letter to leave for you to pass on to the appropriate people in regards to the opportunity of Employment at Vogue" , "Ah beautiful" , he replied "I'll make sure it gets to the right people" , "Have a good day" we both said and with those 15 seconds (that felt like an hour) I was out the door with one big Vogue Ambition. Now I play the waiting game...this could take months you all realise. Im not a patient person hehe but will have to stick it out. After that I needed some retail therapy - back to Marc Jacobs I thought! On my hitlist was a new beanie as I forgot my own at home and with this mornings key drama I thought I'd buy a cute key chain I saw at the store the previous day.

I walked out of the store very happy with my purchases, the key ring is really cute its a horse shoe shape (hello good luck) and has a little world globe and aeroplane on either side - very representative of my current travels so I figured its perfect. I will surely be back for another dose of MJ some time in the near future. The next thing on my need list was a good all-purpose bag. Something I can carry if I want to and something I can slouch over my shoulder like a satchel. Big enough to fit my lap top but not too big. I wanted it to be black leather and with cool zips - asking for too much? Surely I thought I could find it. I searched high and low , everything was too out of my price range - of course - so I thought i'd head to Zara , a cool high street retailer - think portmans/roger david/bardot/cue combined but even cooler and unisex. There standing high on a shelf was the bag of my dreams - exactly the description of what I wanted , pure leather and only 59pounds! I couldnt not buy it! Its no Birkin , but it will do for the minute.

After that I stopped into Ben's work (starbucks) to have a coffee with him at this break and tell him my good news about the Diesel interview & show him my MJ & Zara purchases. He greeted me with my favorite Tall Mocha Frappucino with Whip cream! This is where Ben works below.

Last on my list was Primark. Primark is basically a huge retail store that sells everything from towels to clothes and accessories , at very cheap prices - i'm talking Dimmey's prices! It has a very big mix of things , some good some bad some great , and takes alot of exploring through all the racks to find a cool peice you can work into your wardrobe. I discovered my Primark find hanging on a rack full of jackets. Red & Black checked puffy vest. I looked at it and immediatley thought 'Kanye West' "...is it wrong or right" I asked myself. I decided to chuck it over my tee and imagined in my head of styling it up with a plain white tee , blue jeans and either cool sneakers or my tough boots. I threw it over my tee and its oversized cool look immediatley won my heart and the compliments I got from the two girls standing next to me helped too! For only 7pounds I couldnt resist this bargain! While standing in the long ass queue , I thought I could even style it with a white dress shirt and wear it out in the colder months of London. Here's the picture below however I assure you the picture doesnt do it justice , it looks heaps better on!
Well thats all for me this evening guys! I think I met set out for some more vintage shopping tomorrow and have a few spots I wanna hit! Love you all xoxo Deni

No comments:

Post a Comment