Friday, October 30, 2009

DOVER STREET MARKET - WEDNESDAY

So on my first day off (wednesday) I decided I wanted to go check out Dover Street Market. Now dont let the name fool you - its not a market at all - its a high end 4 level store that caters some of the most amazing fashion around. The way its set out though is some what conceptual and market influenced...but more on that later. I hopped out of the shower and decided to debut some new purchases. I teamed my new Marc Jacobs tee and the TopMan shirt I got on sale the previous day , paired with my Cheapy's. I really liked the mix of denim, white tee & red checks.
(Checkout my facebook Wardrobe Diary for the pic). I hopped on the tube got off at Green Park and did the 2minute walk to Dover St. Passing the Ritz on the way...ah the Ritz , if only , one day I will stay in this hotel institution, until then...iPod in my ears I felt it only fitting that Lady GaGa's 'The Fame' was the soundtrack for this 'window-shopping' expedition. As I walked up the road it awaited me only a few stores in....
As I walked in , I noticed the quirky layout of this store. A lot of the clothes were set up almost like in stalls , like an industrial market style if you will. The first thing you see at the entrance is a tree-style thing filled with Comme De Garcons perfume. Comme' a Japanese/French brand is one of the biggest brands that feature at Dover Street Market, they do some awesome stuff!

Along with the perfume was an amazing array of Jewellery. Ah the jewellery - I'm talking oversized skull rings , bird inspired necklaces , abstract peices that I would kill for but are waay out of my price range! Each floor basically got consistently better. As the lift opened to the second floor 'Poker Face' began perfectly as the doors opened, it was kinda freaky In my mind I was a celebrity in my own little video hehe (im strange like that). I peroused around the incredible womens footwear first - I can look it inspires me. Amazing skyscrapers by Giueseppe Zanotti had me in awe. Behind them a long table of vintage Azzedine Alaia belts - if anyone knows there fashion they'll know that Azzedine Alaia was an incredibly influential designer in the 80s and his vintage peices are high on the lists of every fashion-obsessed designer , stylist , model and/or celebrity. They are truly incredible. To see a whole table full of his signature corset inspired thick high waisted leather belts kinda took my breath away. Here's an example.




As you can see you actually may not know Alai by name but his influence on fashion and in this case belts today is clearly evident! Next level was when things started to get really excited - hanging on the racks my favorite peices were a very futuristic metallic jacket by british designer Gareth Pugh. An incredible Giambattista Valli pink feathered trench coat. An emerald green beatifully pleated Valentino dress with encrusted snake belt to go with it. Some amazing Lanvin peices , Lanvin does amazing dresses with almost inbuilt-jewellery that come with the dresses. Then came the amazing Alexander McQueen and his line of theatric Autumn/Winter gowns had me speechless. I hope all my fashion talk isnt boring you , but to be surrounded by all this beauty , it just makes me feel so inspired to one day have my own works in these ranks.

I have to say it was probably hands down one of the coolest stores I've ever been to. The selection of clothing was impeccable and the various setouts and displays were refreshing. Here's another cool pic of some of the stores interiors. Its very different and so cool. Notice the cool vending machine that holds 'Dover Street Market' tee shirts you can purchase via the vending machine. Its little quirky things like this that made me smile.

After checking out the store I went and met Benny after work and Starbucks in hand we wandered around Selfridges and then headed home. Dover Street Market - huge success! A store I will definitley keep visiting just to check out the changing displays and layouts. xoxo Deni

No comments:

Post a Comment