Wednesday, October 14, 2009

EVERYONE LOVES A COSTUME CHANGE!

Today was the day to debut my new vintage trousers. On my to do list was to return back to 'One of a Kind' aka couture heaven. Hand the manager my CV and purchase one vintage versace jumper. Followed by exploring Canonbury Lane and the surroundings for some vintage peices and cool shops. Its funny what an eccentric outfit will do to your mood. Here is outfit one for the day - YSL tee , Marc Jacobs Beanie , Vintage trousers & ZU shoes - some of you will love it others will hate it. I sure got a mixed reaction of looks today I can tell you that much!
As I walked through Brixton the neighbourhood of mostly a Jamaican and Muslim community gave me very mixed looks. I saw eyes literally pop out of peoples heads and then a nice lady smiled at me looked down at my pants and smiled back at me. Walking onto the tube was the same thing , I got a smile from a cool vintage-clad girl sitting next to me and weird looks from straight-laced old business men. When I hopped off at Portobello road I picked up my Starbucks order on the way and walked into 'One of a Kind'. "Sick trousers mate are they Westwood?" asked the manager (who's name is Mike). "No they're not but they reminded me of her 80s collections and I just had to buy them". His co-worker a 20 year old camp Jamaican guy walked in and exclaimed "Thank god another person who isnt afraid to wear interesting trousers , they are so cool". Finally , people who understood me , I thought. I handed Mike my CV and Reference and asked him to pass it on to the store owner. "I defintley will" he said , and followed with "Let me take a photo of you so he can see how cool your style is" , I was very flattered and happily posed. "Hopefully we can offer you a couple of days a week to start off with" - I was more than pleased. Now for the clothes. I walked over to my Versace jumper and hanging next to it was a Vintage oversized Missoni sweater. All signature zig-zag pattern and beautiful wool a combination of mesh and lurex. "That ones new mate , its 250 but I could give it to ou for 150" , Mike said. I contemplated it but then remembered I had rent to pay soon and should be responsible. Hopefully it will still be there in a months time and if its meant to be it'll be mine. Or if I get the job maybe they can pay me in clothes - I thought. Clearly I've become a vintage addict. There's something so amazing about purchasing vintage peices that feels like you have a little peice of history - the clothes have stories behind them. Who owned them , what were there lives like , what events or parties did they possibly wear these peices too. The possibilities are endless. While I was in store the Sunday Post was in interviewing Mike and setting up for a photo shoot. The hype around this store is crazy. Its a London institution. I proudly purchased my vintage Versace Couture peice and walked out one happy boy! "We'll be in touch Denis" - said Mike as he shook my hand and left the store. I have a good feeling about this, I thought. So this is my jumper. Its very classic and quite plain. But its an investment Versace peice and so comfortable and I figure it balances out my eccentric purchase of yesterday! I plan to find a chunky metal neck peice to wear around the collar of the jumper. I cant wait!
Just a tube ride away was Canonbury Lane - the vintage store I was going to visit had a really good profile online , when I got there it was quite small and only had womens clothes. Nothing that blew my mind but never the less was a cute little store. Canonbury square which was on the way to Canonbury Lane was kinda cute and quintessentially London to me - I quite liked it.
As I was walking up the main street I ducked into a little cheap jewellery store and got talking to the shop girl there. She is also from my hood - Brixton and is tall skinny and a black beauty who wants to do modelling and fashion. I told her as soon as I get a sewing machine I will whip something up and we'll organise a shoot. We got eachothers names to add on facebook. I was now walking towards the tube to go meet Ben & his friend Kai for lunch. I figured I may need a costume change , my eccentric look suited the vintage shopping morning I had planned but I needed a more slick urban look for Oxford Circus and I didnt want Kai to think I was some crazy french painter or something hehe it was when I was half way to Oxford Circus I looked down at my wrist and realised my favorite House of Baulch chunky bracelet was missing from it. "OMG I LEFT IT IN THE JEWELLERY STORE WHEN I TRIED ON A BRACELET" - thankgod I have that girls details and maybe its happened for a reason so that gives us an excuse to do coffee or something , I thought. Either way I need to get that bracelet back its my favorite! As I got off at Oxford Circus I made a mad dash to the giant H&M store to find a quick emergency pair of jeans to change into. I wanted a kind of black waxed pair to get that sleek look I was going for. I found this awesome pair of almost leather looking jeans but just the right amount of not tacky looking shiny effect for only 19pounds! Sold! I got changed in the change rooms and was on my way to meet the boys! I chucked the pashmina I had in my bag on to balance out the look!

I met the boys and we went off to a Japanese take away place and got some sushi and ate it in Green Park. Kai's a really nice dude so the afternoon was quite nice albeit a bit cold. We walked past Leicester Square and there was a premiere starting tonight for George Clooney & Meryl Streeps cartoon movie however it was too cold and we decided to just get on the next tube home. Shane's cooking pasta for dinner so I best be off. I will update you all tomorrow. xoxo Deni

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the vintage look, looking very European ma boy ;) - and I totally love the amount of compliments and such the One of a Kind guys gave you which you completely deserve !! They took a photo of you too which is perfection, how nice of him :) I really have a strong feeling about that place like you said as well - this is like reading a novel or watching a film and it all seems to be playing out and falling into place brilliantly - you'll definitely be associated with them I reckon. As for the bracelet, also meant to happen ;) I hope you find it with ease. Keep updating Mr. Denistiny (Destiny ;) ), it's all working in your favour and I am LOVING it :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete