Thursday, October 15, 2009

I HEART CARNABY STREET!

Hiya! So this morning I thought I should get up and be domesticated. Qeue - Lady Ga Ga - blaring from my ipod dock , vacuum cleaner in hand I vacuumed the house. Put a load of washing on and wiped the dining table sparkling clean...and who says I dont make a good housewife! On the schedule today was to explore around Carnaby Street in Soho for some more vintage hunting and to explore what other stores I could find. I decided to go for a bit of a rock look today , so I pulled ot my studded new rock tee from Topman Vintage chucked my jeans on , rocked my tough biker boots and stacked up an arm full of my favorite Cat Hamill beads. I hopped on the tube and headed to Oxford Circus where I would get off , walk down Regent street and then turn into Carnaby Street. Along the way I found this really cool department store called 'Liberty' - the shopfront kind of reminds me of an austrian/german building. The department store itself however was amazing! Their range of clothes was impeccable - the best range of Marc by Marc Jacobs i've yet to see outside of the MJ store. A nice selection of McQueen , Rick Owens and they even had some vintage designer peices in there as well.
See what I mean - doesnt it look like its rolled out of the Austrian hills or something? hehe anyway next stop was Carnaby Street. As soon as I walked into it I just loved the feeling in the air , it has a lot of character and just oozes cool. Lots of little unique stores , not so much vintage , but just cool little concept stores selling everything from clothes to books to jewellery and candles. If I start to launch my tee's over here there was a few stores on Carnaby Street that I could totally imagine stocking my stuff.
For all you Sienna Miller fans out there (Christie hehe) some of you may be aware that Sienna and her sister Savannah have their own label called Twenty8Twelve , well just off Carnaby Street is where the store is at. Its really cool , and I'm a huge Sienna lover so I had to take a pic of it to show you girls...and maybe some of you guys too hehe!
After perousing the Twenty8Twelve windows I found this really cool store called 'Wish you were here' , when I walked in there was this ultra cool black girl sitting at the counter bopping away to the awesome tunes that were blaring from the stereo. She had a short shaved Rihanna-style hair cut and was rocking a leather hooded jacket a cute dress and some wicked skate-style-sneakers. She was the ultimate prettygirl-tomboy. I loved her style. The range of clothes in the store were quite small but I noticed stairs , "We have an art gallery downstairs" she said with a smile. So i walked down. The clothes in the store were very in that streetwear skate style but in a very cool way , a style I love , so it was fitting that the artwork was going to be urban and in the same vein as the clothes. The first room featured a huge peice on the wall made entirely of dummy's , yes like baby dummy's - that shaped a huge love heart - with turquoise paint that then dripped down from each dummy and onto the floor. My interperation of it was like 'Baby you're making my heart bleed' ... I dont know thats just what I got from it. It was cool though.The following peices were mostly photo's , some big style polaroids of the L.A street scene. There's a picture of P.Diddy in the bottom left hand corner which I thought was cool - i really liked this little collage type thing and I like how the polaroids seem to be bigger than usual size.My favorite peice though was the following image. Not many of you may know but i'm a huge fan of skateboarding and skate-culture (not that I can actually skate - I wish). Its a sport , look and style I really appreciate and wish I could pull off. I'm not talking shitty little kids skating in the mall , i'm talking cool dudes and girls who skate like its an art form and they make it their whole life from the way they walk to the way they dress. It really inspires me , especially when I design girls clothes I often will think "Ok you've got this cool-as skater boy who is full of tattoo's wears oversized hoody's and cool ripped up jeans , now what does his girlfriend look like" and thats the girl I sometimes like to design for. Anyway enough of my dribble - this is the photograph I most liked. I think its pretty awesome!
I just really like the style of photography and think it would look great as a print on a tee-shirt. So after all of that I went off to meet Ben after he finished work as he greeted me with my favorite Tall Mocha Frapuccino with whip - bless - and we went off to find this store called Beyond Retro - the store itself was quite large and there was lots on offer but there were too many people in there and I think i'll have to go back another day to have a proper look around.
On the way home I went past our local chicken burger joint here in Brixton and after feeling slightly peckish I picked up a Chicken Burger and Chips for only 2pounds! How cheap is that! I've just sat here eating it as I type to all you bloggers out there its so yum! Also I strongly urge all of you to go onto Youtube and listen to Lady GaGa's new single - or if its on LimeWire download it , its called 'Bad Romance' and its from her new album soon to be released. Its freakin awesome and i've been listening to it on repeat while i've been writing this blog! I'm gonna have to love you all and leave you , I'm not sure what I'll do tomorrow , I still need to find the perfect neck peice to wear over my new Vintage Versace so maybe I should have a hunt tomorrow. Thats it for me xoxo Deni


No comments:

Post a Comment